Thursday, March 19, 2009

Author, Publish Thyself!

One aspect of my business I've been researching lately is publishing. Sooner or later I'm going to need to publish a book or two. Fortunately I didn't fall for the myriad of "vanity publishers" out there and instead found www.selfpublishing.com. I downloaded a copy of their book "Publishing Basics" and was offered a free hard copy as well. Bonus!

I much prefer hard copies to electronic copies. I did my MBA program with ebooks for texts, and if it weren't for a kind employer who let me print them out at work for free I'd have gone blind.

Anyway, I digress. My copy came in the mail this week. The book is short, but packed with information. Yes, it's also a marketing tool for their services, but it's an effective one. They also do a good job of convincing you that publishing is both difficult and possible. They're not building false hope, but they make it clear that there are rewards if you can pull it off.

Almost they convinceth me to become a publisher. But this is, as most things, a case of "you have to spend money to make money" and at this point in time I don't have the money to spend. So publishing will have to come later on in the business plan. But I'm pretty sure it will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment