Sunday, October 18, 2009

Taking the plunge

This blog has languished for awhile now, as I'd largely reconciled myself to the idea that I'm not ready to start a business. For one thing, I've lacked capital. For another I've lacked time and drive.

Well, times change, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Recently a good friend of mine also go laid off. This is the friend of whom I've often said that if I had about $50,000 to put him in business with I'd do it. Well, instead we found an opportunity that can put us in business for about $6,000. I don't think either of us would have the guts to do it alone, but together we've convinced each other to give it a try.

This is a serious endeavor. We've registered a company with the state, got our tax ID, and plunked down some significant cash. We're currently going through the steps to select a product line and find suppliers. If everything goes well, we'll be Internet retailers by the end of the month.

Are we crazy? Quite possibly. But one advantage of having a partner is diluted risk. Though we still lose money if this fails, neither of us loses as much. And if we succeed, we'll at the very least have a revenue stream that will help us both avoid the poor house that much longer while we find real jobs. But our goal/dream is to turn this into our real jobs. We hope by the end of the year to be making enough to be able to stop looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment